SAS Link Reset, a down port, and I_T nexus loss

Gerry Houlder gerry.houlder at seagate.com
Mon Apr 25 15:19:39 PDT 2011

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1104255_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

I think i can handle this one.
The Phy Disable signal is not like pulling the cable off the drive. Pulling
the cable will cause a Loss of Sync condition, then link reset (recovery
procedure), and eventually time out when the recovery fails too many times
(i.e., Nexus Loss).
Phy Disable signal is like a switch on the drive that disables the phy
without removing the cable. The drive detects this event immediately and
therefore disables the phy immediately.