Feedback 11-185r0

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Mon Apr 18 16:10:33 PDT 2011

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1104180_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

11-185r0 states:
Except as described elsewhere in this subclause, the device server shall
process a REQUEST SENSE command
as follows:
1) return applicable sense data in the parameter data as follows:
1) if the logical unit that reports a peripheral qualifier of 011b or 001b
in its standard INQUIRY data (see
6.4.2), then return parameter data containing sense data with the sense
key set to ILLEGAL
REQUEST and the additional sense code shall be set to LOGICAL UNIT NOT
SUPPORTED;
2) if the logical unit that reports a peripheral qualifier of 000b in its
standard INQUIRY data because it has
a peripheral device connected but is not ready for access, then return
parameter data containing
sense data appropriate to the condition that is making the logical unit
not operational;
3) if the REQUEST SENSE command was received on an I_T nexus with a
pending unit attention
condition, then return sense data for the unit attention and clear it as
described in SAM-4;
4) if a recovered error occurs during the processing of the REQUEST SENSE
command, then return
parameter data containing sense data with the sense key set to RECOVERED
ERROR;
5) return pollable sense data (see 5.6.2), if any;
6) if other sense data (e.g., deferred error sense data (see 4.4.5)) is
available, then return that sense
data; or
7) return parameter data containing sense data with the sense key set to
NO SENSE and the additional
sense code set to NO ADDITIONAL SENSE INFORMATION;
and
2) complete the REQUEST SENSE command with GOOD status.
I believe that the new text in #6 (i.e., deferred errors) should be moved
ahead of #5 (pollable sense data) since that is how devices I am aware of
actually function.
Thanks,
Kevin D. Butt
Data Protection & Retention
MS 6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ 85744
Tel: 520-799-5280
Fax: 520-799-2723 (T/L:321)
Email address: kdbutt at us.ibm.com