LUICLR bit in Extended Inquiry Data

Gerry Houlder gerry.houlder at seagate.com
Fri Sep 10 11:35:54 PDT 2010

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1009101_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

So if we are concerned about duplicating requirements that are stated
elsewhere, the wording should say:
LUICLR bit set to one indicates that the SCSI target device manages unit
attentions with an additional sense code of REPORTED LUNS DATA HAS CHANGED
as defined in SAM-5. [set to zero wording is unchanged].
On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Elliott, Robert (Server Storage) <
Elliott at hp.com> wrote:
>  The "shall" is in SAM; replicating rules should be avoided.	Also, this
> is a VPD page, and a read-only bit saying the logical unit shall do
> something isn't right.

LUICLR
> bit set to zero indicates the SCSI target device clears unit attention
> conditions according to a previous version of this standard. The LUICLR bit
> shall be set to one.
>
> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Kevin D Butt <kdbutt at us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> In SPC-4r26, Extended Inquiry Data VPD Page, I find the following bit
> description.
>
> <<A logical unit I_T nexus clear (LUICLR) bit set to one indicates the
> SCSI target device clears any unit attention
> condition with an additional sense code of REPORTED LUNS DATA HAS CHANGED
> in each logical unit accessible
> to an I_T nexus after reporting the unit attention condition for any
> logical unit over that I_T nexus (see
> SAM-4). An LUICLR bit set to zero indicates the SCSI target device clears
> unit attention conditions according to a
> previous version of this standard. The LUICLR bit shall be set to one.>>
>
> I read it several times and it did not make sense to me.  After a good bit
> of scrutiny, I determined that it must mean that if the REPORTED LUNS DATA
> HAS CHANGED UA is reported by LUN A over I_T nexus (2), then all LUNs
> accessible over I_T nexus (2) also clear the REPORTED LUNS DATA HAS CHANGED
> UA.  However, it is possible that I am misinterpreting this requirement.
If