Proposal to change CDB for the SMC-3 draft command REPORT DATA TRANSFER DEVICE INQUIRY

Ballard, Curtis C (StorageWorks) curtis.ballard at hp.com
Sun Jul 11 21:31:26 PDT 2010

* "Ballard, Curtis C (StorageWorks)" <curtis.ballard at hp.com>
*
The SMC-3 working group chose to extend all element address fields in new
commands from 2 bytes to 4 bytes to allow for the larger element counts
required by some large tape libraries and virtual devices.
One early command that had been approved for SMC-3 was the REQUEST DATA
TRANSFER DEVICE INQUIRY command and that command only has a 2 byte element
address field.	No members present at the last face-to-face meeting were
aware of any implementation of the draft REQUEST DATA TRANSFER DEVICE INQUIRY
command so we are proposing that we change the CDB from a 12 byte CDB to a 16
byte CDB and drop the 12 byte version.	That command has been in the SMC-3
draft for quite a while so it is possible that it has been implemented by
somebody that does not attend the working group meetings.
The proposed changes are documented in:
Please reply to the reflector if you know of any reason why the old version
of the REQUEST DATA TRANSFER DEVICE INQUIRY command should be retained.
Curtis Ballard
Hewlett Packard
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org