Clarify between decimal bytes and binary bytes

James C Hatfield james.c.hatfield at seagate.com
Wed Jul 7 11:09:31 PDT 2010

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1007079_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

T13 encountered this in 2002.
I published e02135r0 on the T13 website. T13 decided to only have it as a
link, and not an actual document.
>      http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html
Furthermore, several attempts since then (by me) to introduce the binary
terms into T13 standards have been overwhelmingly rejected, in favor of only
using the decimal units. As such, T13 standards have no need to refer to the
binary units.
I ask the question of T10: Is there an overwhelming NEED to use the binary
terms ?
If not, then there is no problem, and no need for the references.
Thank You !!!
Jim Hatfield
Seagate Technology LLC
  e-mail:  James.C.Hatfield at seagate.com
  s-mail:  389 Disc Drive;  Longmont, CO 80503 USA
  voice:  720-684-2120
  fax....: 720-684-2711