SSC-4: Locate to EOD of partition x

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Tue Jan 19 11:03:14 PST 2010

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1001193_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

Tapeheads,
I have been asked if there is currently a method to locate to the EOD of a
specified partition (e.g., change partition and go to EOD) without a Check
Condition.  In my research I see no method to do this in a single command.
 If you are currently in partition x you can Space EOD and not get a check
condition.  But, if the current position is in partition y you must use a
locate to change partition.  You can specify a locate to a very large
number and - depending on implementation - may or may not find yourself at
EOD after a Check Condition.
I was also asked if the SSC-4 WG would like to define a method to
accomplish this.
If we believe it is useful, and I do, I would suggest we add a bit to the
Locate(16) command that specifies EOD is the destination of the Locate
command.  Then we could change partition and locate to EOD in one command
without getting a Check Condition.  I thought that would be better than
adding EOD as a Dest_type value as I view that as qualifying the Logical
Identifier field.
What do you think?
Thanks,
Kevin D. Butt
MS 6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ 85744
Tel: 520-799-5280
Fax: 520-799-2723 (T/L:321)
Email address: kdbutt at us.ibm.com