sbc: reading blocks prior to a medium error

Gerry Houlder gerry.houlder at seagate.com
Wed Dec 15 11:21:19 PST 2010

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1012151_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

Correct, there are no guarantees on this behavior. for instance:
   - most protocols define an our of order data delivery mechanism, although
   most products do not support them; and
   - responding with CHECK CONDITION, unrecovered error response when no
   data is transferred is not prohibited in the standard.
This "lack of guarantee" is the reason the recommended host response to an
unrecovered error is to retry the entire range of LBAs in the failing
command, perhaps broken into several commands to read the LBAs before the
error address and the LBAs after the error address.