READ (6), WRITE (6), et al.

Curtis Stevens curtis.stevens at wdc.com
Fri Dec 10 08:47:41 PST 2010

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1012100_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

Matthew, the issue here is making commands mandatory that make no real sense
to use.  READ (6) has the capability to read approximately 512 MiB at the
front of the media.  This is meaningless in a device that supports 1 million
times that.  There is development and support costs in continuing to require
commands that were used in 1984 but have no real application for today.
Obsoleting the command does not prevent devices from supporting them, but it
does send a stronger message to host system developers that they should
modernize their systems.
Curtis E. Stevens
Sr. Staff  Engr - Standards & Features Technology
20511 Lake Forest Drive #A 113-F
Lake Forest, California 92630
Phone: 949-672-7933
Cell: 949-307-5050