READ (6), WRITE (6), et al.

david.black at emc.com david.black at emc.com
Thu Dec 9 05:33:45 PST 2010

* <david.black at emc.com>
*
I unfortunately have to concur.  Solaris is definitely not the only OS that
uses READ (6) for this purpose in recent implementations.
Thanks,
--David
David L. Black, Distinguished Engineer
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
david.black at emc.com        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
Schilling
> Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2010 4:12 AM
> To: Sam.Pappal at gdc4s.com; mj at feral.com; Mark.Evans at wdc.com
> Cc: t10 at t10.org
> Subject: Re: READ (6), WRITE (6), et al.

> * Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
> *
> <Sam.Pappal at gdc4s.com> wrote:
>
> > Some legacy hosts currently in wide use and perhaps some drivers try
> > Read 6 during boot and operation as part of failure recovery. These
> > hosts will hang there and may require reboot if Read 6 is not supported
> > by the drive. ..  can become a deadly embrace in my experience.
>
> There are operating systems like Solaris that use a read 6 in case the
numbers
> would fit. A drive that would deny this could cause problems even with
recent
> implementations.
>
> Jörg
>
> --