SSC-4: ERASE(16) command description flaw?

Tim Jones tjmac at tolisgroup.com
Fri Apr 23 08:19:37 PDT 2010

* Tim Jones <tjmac at tolisgroup.com>
*
I believe that the question should be "What happens if a locate operation
fails when the LONG bit **IS** set to 1?"  Is there a difference in the task
that must then be performed to resolve the failure?
Tim
Tim Jones					tjmac at tolisgroup.com
President/CTO				http://www.tolisgroup.com
TOLIS Group, Inc.			http://www.productionbackup.com
480-505-0488 x227			480-505-0492 (fax)
BRU ... Because it's the RESTORE that matters
On Apr 22, 2010, at 6:12 PM, Kevin D Butt wrote:

> In reading SSC-4, ERASE(16) command I am confused by the last sentence in
this paragraph:

> <<The partition and logical object identifier fields specify the position
at which the ERASE(16) command shall start. If the current position does not
match the specified logical object identifier and partition fields, the
device server shall perform a locate operation to the specified logical
object identifier and partition prior to performing the erase operation. If
the locate operation fails, the device server shall return CHECK CONDITION
status and the additional sense code shall be set to LOCATE OPERATION
FAILURE. The logical position is undefined following a locate operation
failure with a LONG bit of zero.>>

> Why does the value of the LONG bit make any difference in whether or not
the position after a failed locate operation is defined?  I think this
sentence is not accurate and should be modified to read, "The logical

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org