SSC-4: ERASE(16) command description flaw?

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Thu Apr 22 18:12:55 PDT 2010

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r1004220_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

In reading SSC-4, ERASE(16) command I am confused by the last sentence in
this paragraph:
<<The partition and logical object identifier fields specify the position
at which the ERASE(16) command shall start. If the current position does
not match the specified logical object identifier and partition fields,
the device server shall perform a locate operation to the specified
logical object identifier and partition prior to performing the erase
operation. If the locate operation fails, the device server shall return
CHECK CONDITION status and the additional sense code shall be set to
LOCATE OPERATION FAILURE. The logical position is undefined following a
locate operation failure with a LONG bit of zero.>>
Why does the value of the LONG bit make any difference in whether or not
the position after a failed locate operation is defined?  I think this
sentence is not accurate and should be modified to read, "The logical
position is undefined following a locate operation failure."
Thanks,
Kevin D. Butt
MS 6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ 85744
Tel: 520-799-5280
Fax: 520-799-2723 (T/L:321)
Email address: kdbutt at us.ibm.com