Comment on proposal 09-357r0

Mark Evans Mark.Evans at wdc.com
Wed Oct 7 09:45:35 PDT 2009

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r0910075_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

Hi Gerry,
I'm working on clarifying the scenarios described in 09-357r0.	I've deleted
the scenario with the requirement for a two-bit field in concert with what
you wrote, as I agree that having different behaviors is too complicated,
and, at least for HDDs, we want to be able to process background tasks
unless this type of action has been specifically prohibited by a command
|from an application client.  The following are my premises for this:
a)	  If a logical unit is in a low power state as the result of a
command (e.g., a START STOP UNIT command with the power condition field and
power condition modifier field set to cause the logical unit to transition
to the idle_a power condition), then the logical unit does not change state
to process background functions when timers or device-specific events occur;
and,
b)	 If a logical unit is in a low power state as the result of a power
condition timer expiring, then the logical unit changes state as necessary
to process background functions when timers or device-specific events occur.
Stay tuned.  I hope to have a new revision out this week with the goal being
that we discuss the new revision at CAP in November so I can get more input
before I make any specific proposed wording changes to draft standards.
Please feel free to call or send an email to me with any comments or
questions that you have about this stuff.
Regards,
Mark Evans
Western Digital Corporation
5863 Rue Ferrari