Log page consistency

Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com
Wed Oct 7 07:25:54 PDT 2009

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r0910070_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>
Attachment #1: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r0910070_graycol.gif">graycol.gif</a>
Attachment #2: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r0910070_pic26177.gif">pic26177.gif</a>
Attachment #3: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r0910070_ecblank.gif">ecblank.gif</a>

My suggestion for achieving this goal would be:
(a) have an overview clause that introduces the four log pages and includes
a generic "log page header with a number of parameters" table and a generic
"parameter descriptor with header and parameter bytes" table.
(b) Have 4 sub-clauses, one for each log page, that consist of a parameter
table (i.e., a table showing each parameter number and parameter
description in a row of the table) and a unique description of each
parameter. The parameter descriptions (or maybe boilerplate at the start of
each sub-clause) should include a list of commands for which the counters
apply; we may need to decide whether to include such new commands like
ORWRITE and nuclear Test and Set in these lists. We may have to
re-establish whether each counter applies to bytes transferred over the
interface or to bytes transferred to/ from the medium (I think we intended
"transferred over the interface" but that isn't clear in the existing
descriptions).
(c) We may want to sprinkle in some implementation guidance. For example,
recommend that parameter lengths be a multiple of four and perhaps
recommend a minimum parameter length for each parameter. This is new
material needs discussion at a CAP meeting.
	     Ralph Weber
	     <roweber at IEEE.org
	     Sent by:		       "'t10 at t10.org'" <t10 at t10.org>
	     owner-t10 at t10.org						cc
	     No Phone Info
	     Available						   Subject
				       Log page consistency
	     10/06/2009 04:39
	     PM
* Ralph Weber <roweber at ieee.org>
*
One of the recently espoused goals it to "describe all
log pages consistently".
This goal might be taken to mean that each and every
log page should be described in a separate subclause.
If this interpretation of the goal is applied to SPC-4,
then the subclause numbered 7.2.5 in r22 will become
four subclauses each with approximately the same content.
Does anybody care to express an opinion on the goal
and/or its interpretation?
All the best,
.Ralph
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org