MMC/Fuji: Proper way for device to fail a read/write streaming command?

David Burg daviburg at windows.microsoft.com
Mon May 11 13:43:59 PDT 2009

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r0905111_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

Hello,
While testing drives for Windows logo, we found that some write commands are
failing with sense information 02/04/08.
That is absolutely fine and actually desired with non-streaming writes.
However, some device also return this sense information to streaming write.
We are both wondering if this is legitimate - as the drive commits with
streaming to deliver a given throughput, respond promptly, etc. and if the
sense code 02/04/08 is the right one, or if it should be "UNIT
ATTENTION/INSUFFICIENT TIME FOR OPERATION" or something else.
Is a drive allowed to fail to complete a streaming read or write within a
short time, and if it is allowed, how the drive fail the command exactly?
With regards,
David.