zoning Load step clarification

Greg Tabor greg.tabor at maxim-ic.com
Thu Mar 5 13:47:50 PST 2009

* Greg Tabor <greg.tabor at maxim-ic.com>
*
Gerry,
No, I don't think there is ever a case where an expander would return
OPEN_REJECT (NO DESTINATION) due to a transitory condition during
lock/load/activate/unlock zone configuration.  Zone configuration only
updates the ZPT, not the route table, and the ZPT only affects the
decision between allowing a connection request to a destination versus
returning OPEN_REJECT (ZONE VIOLATION); it has no effect on non zone
related routing decisions such as those that would result in OPEN_REJECT
(NO DESTINATION) because a route to a destination can not be found.
So I think that:
(1) my point is valid, and the text in 4.9.6.3 should be changed to
"OPEN_REJECT (ZONE VIOLATION)" from "OPEN_REJECT (NO DESTINATION)".
(2) Steve's point is valid, but probably insofar as the text is
misleading because it is located specifically in the Load step section
yet it applies to the whole lock/load/activate/unlock process.	Perhaps
the fourth paragraph in 4.9.6.3 (starting "While the ZONE CONFIGURING
bit is set to one...") could be fixed as I have requested and then moved
up to the 4.9.6.1 Zone configuration overview section for clarity.
Any takers?
--
Greg Tabor
Maxim Integrated Products