09-063r3 clarification regarding BREAK's received during SL_CC8: PS_REQUEST

Penokie, George George.Penokie at lsi.com
Mon Jun 8 08:32:21 PDT 2009

* "Penokie, George" <George.Penokie at lsi.com>
*
Richard,
Your interpretation is correct.
Bye for now,
George Penokie
LSI Corporation
3033 41st St. NW
Suite 100
Rochester, MN 55901
507-328-9017
george.penokie at lsi.com
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-t10 at t10.org [mailto:owner-t10 at t10.org] On Behalf Of
richard.bohn at seagate.com
Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2009 2:44 PM
To: Mark Evans
Cc: t10 at t10.org
Subject: 09-063r3 clarification regarding BREAK's received during SL_CC8:
PS_REQUEST
* richard.bohn at seagate.com
*
Hi Mark,
Can you confirm my interpretation of the SAS Link Layer changes relating to
BREAKs received during the new PS_REQUEST state?
The case I am curious about is the appropriate behavior of a receiving device
when the BREAK_REPLY method of responding to BREAK sequences is disabled. I
believe the specification indicates that the device should not respond with a
BREAK primitive in this state, but rather transition to the IDLE state
without indicating to the host that the BREAK has been received.
Thus, the host would eventually hit the millisecond BREAK timeout.
Am I correct in thinking that this behavior, which I believe matches the
behavior of the IDLE state, is specified to remain backwords-compatible in
spirit with the SAS 1 specification, which does not appear to contemplate
receiving BREAKs outside of connections (of course, SAS 1 devices shouldn't
be involved with the power management states, which is why I say "in
spirit")?
Thanks,
Richard Bohn
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org