STP link layer

pooja gupta pooja.gupta at nsysinc.com
Wed Jan 14 21:15:05 PST 2009

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r0901141_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

Hi,
I am working on STP protocol in SAS and I have one doubt regarding STP link
layer.
After the SAS phy detects during phy reset sequence that it is connected to a
SATA device,
It issues COMWAKE and after the OOB sequence and speed negotiation are
completed,
Phy Layer Ready (SATA) message is sent to link layer.

Now my query is after this SATA_PHY_READY, does identification sequence
happens?
If yes, then it is said in the protocol that to transmit Identify Address
frame, Phy Layer
Ready (SAS) message is required and does SATA device will have addesses as
specified for
SAS devices?

If no, then how exactly does the state machine for Link Layer in case of STP
begin and interface with
SL_CC state machines as these state machines need Enable Disable SAS Link
(Enable) message from SL_IR
State machine which, I suppose do not execute in case of STP?

Please clarify my query.
Thanks