Minutes: MMC WG Meeting Minutes, Tuesday 14 January 2009

David Burg daviburg at windows.microsoft.com
Thu Feb 5 11:23:19 PST 2009

* David Burg <daviburg at windows.microsoft.com>
*
Hi Bill,
I believe the minutes are missing a critical piece of information which
caused some confusion amongst PC OEMs (two have contacted Microsoft already)
This is the troublesome paragraph:
" Since the November meeting an e-mail discussion about AN and Sleep has been
ongoing. One difficult point is that a sleeping device is unable to report
any events.
Consequently, as a device is entering sleep, a Power Event is available to
the Host,
but AN is not set. The e-mail chain moved to a discussion of the actual
behavior of
sleep. "
What is missing from this paragraph is that actually it was a
misunderstanding that a Power Event would be available to the Host. No Power
Event shall be generated out of the transition to Sleep state. This is
explained in MMC6r02a.pdf at " 6.41.3.2 Power Condition Changes ", the
specification says:
" All power state change requests, except sleep, that complete successfully
shall generate a power management
class event with the Power Event field set to PwrChg-Successful. "
In other words, there is no issue today between AN and sleep state. We should
also be clear that this question is independent from the discussion of
possible future improvement to sleep or other power state for additional
power saving. AN as of today is working, and it is our intent to keep it
working with backward compatibility, would we in the future define additional
power savings.
I believe I (attempted to) point out this clarification in the meeting,
however it is possible that it was difficult to understand me as I was only
calling in by phone.
Could you adjust the minutes accordingly to address the confusion?
Maybe the committee needs to also consider rewording the unfortunate
paragraph at " 6.6.2.4 Power Management Events ":
" A Power Management Event is reported whenever there is a change to power
status. Power changes may
occur due to a command from the Host or a timeout as specified in the Timeout
and Protect mode page (see
7.8). "
This paragraph lacks the Sleep power status exception.
With regards,
David.