Comment on 08-206 rev. 4

Craig Stoops craig at expertio.com
Tue Feb 3 20:03:29 PST 2009

* "Craig Stoops" <craig at expertio.com>
*
Hi Gerry,
I'd like to differ for the following reasons:
1) Although it is set to ACTIVE when we start the cominit, it doesn't
really matter since SAS PHY is NOT_READY. So I think technically it
doesn't matter if you set ACTIVE then or not until after SP15 when READY
is signaled.
2) On the other hand, in PS_ALIGN0, we do not infact know that the wakeup
will be successful of not. Align exchange could fail, and an OOB sequence
might be needed to recover. Unlike the the other case above, SAS PHY is
still READY in this PS state. The combination of READY and ACTIVE signals
that the Port Layer can request connections, and that we want to know they
will be opened or rejected in a reasonable time, which can't be guaranteed
until we are back to SP15 - A cominit sequence can take a while.
I'd make the arguement that maybe even ACTIVE shouldn't be set in the
first case until we get to SP15, basically advertising a status of NONE.
Any, that's my two cents.
Craig Stoops
ExpertIO, Inc.
"Your Storage Protocol Verification Experts"
www.expertio.com

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org