Comment on 08-206 rev. 4

Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com
Tue Feb 3 14:34:06 PST 2009

* Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com
*
08-206 creates a SASPhyPwrMgmt state machine variable that can assume
states of Active, Partial, or Slumber. I presume Active means the
transmitter is ready to send primitives  or signals (i.e., in a condition
to send anything other than DC Idle).
The variable is set to active on entry to OOB_COMINIT. This makes sense to
me, since the transmitter is about to transmit a COMINIT signal on the
interface.
I think this variable should also be set to Active on entry to the
SAS_PS_ALIGN0 state, since the transmitter is expected to send ALIGN (0)
primitives at this point. According to current wording, however, the
variable is not set to active until the transition from SAS_PS_ALIGN1 to
PHY_Ready. This seems wrong to me.
I think this variable shall be set to Active upon entry to the
SAS_PS_ALIGN0 state. Alternatively, it could be set to Active on exiting
SAS_PS_Phy_Low_Power state since this is the only place that transitions to
the SAS_PS_ALIGN0 state. Then the reference to this variable is not needed
in clause 6.8.5.4.3 (Transition from Align1 to Phy Ready).
Comments anyone? If this is agreeable, I'd like to have George incorporate
this change into the integrated version of the proposal.
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org