Inconsistency in power condition overview in SPC-4

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Mon Aug 31 11:00:24 PDT 2009

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r0908313_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>
Attachment #1: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r0908313_nameless-1308-3.gif">nameless-1308-3.gif</a>
Attachment #2: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r0908313_nameless-1308-4.gif">nameless-1308-4.gif</a>
Attachment #3: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r0908313_nameless-1308-5.gif">nameless-1308-5.gif</a>
Attachment #4: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r0908313_nameless-1308-6.gif">nameless-1308-6.gif</a>
Attachment #5: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r0908313_nameless-1308-7.gif">nameless-1308-7.gif</a>
Attachment #6: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r0908313_nameless-1308-8.gif">nameless-1308-8.gif</a>
Attachment #7: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r0908313_nameless-1308-9.gif">nameless-1308-9.gif</a>
Attachment #8: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r0908313_nameless-1308-10.gif">nameless-1308-10.gif</a>
Attachment #9: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r0908313_nameless-1308-11.gif">nameless-1308-11.gif</a>

I like the concept in 09-250 best.
Kevin D. Butt
MS 6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ 85744
Tel: 520-799-5280
Fax: 520-799-2723 (T/L:321)
Email address: kdbutt at us.ibm.com
http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/storage/
From:
Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com
To:
t10 at t10.org
Date:
08/31/2009 10:21 AM
Re: Inconsistency in power condition overview in SPC-4
There are currently two proposals on the CAP agenda that address this
situation.
09-085 [Marks] has wording to cover the Request Sense case only.
09-250 [Houlder] has wording to allow a number of commands (including
Request Sense as an example) to not affect the timers when they are
received.
I anticipate the CAP working group will choose one of these two approaches
to resolve this issue. Please review both approaches and decide which one
deserves your support.
"Mark Evans" <Mark.Evans at wdc.com>
"Mark Evans" <Mark.Evans at wdc.com>
Sent by: owner-t10 at t10.org
No Phone Info Available
08/28/2009 05:16 PM
<t10 at t10.org>
cc
"Ralph Weber" <roweber at IEEE.org>
Subject
Inconsistency in power condition overview in SPC-4
Hello,
I?ve discovered an inconsistency in SPC-4 regarding power conditions. The
sixth paragraph in 5.10.1 Power conditions overview reads, ?If any power
condition timer in the Power Condition mode page is enabled, then that
timer shall be stopped on receipt of a command. On completion of the
command, all enabled timers shall be reinitialized based on their Power
Condition mode page values and then started.?
However, in clause 6.29 REQUEST SENSE command there is a sentence that
reads, ?A REQUEST SENSE command shall not reset any power condition
timers.?
I think the description in the REQUEST SENSE command is correct and that
the paragraph in 5.10.1 should be changed to read, ?If any power condition
timer in the Power Condition mode page is enabled, then that timer shall
be stopped on receipt of a command, except a REQUEST SENSE command. On
completion of the command, all enabled timers shall be reinitialized based
on their Power Condition mode page values and then started.?
I think this could be an editorial change, as this was the intent all
along.
Please feel free to call or send an email to me with any comments or
questions that you have about this stuff.
Regards,
Mark Evans
Western Digital Corporation
5863 Rue Ferrari