Inconsistency in power condition overview in SPC-4

Kevin_Marks at Dell.com Kevin_Marks at Dell.com
Sun Aug 30 08:01:48 PDT 2009

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r0908301_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

Hi Mark,
Both Jerry and I have changes to this text in our two proposals. George
pointed this out a couple of months ago.
Kevin
From: owner-t10 at t10.org [mailto:owner-t10 at t10.org] On Behalf Of Mark
Evans
Sent: Friday, August 28, 2009 5:16 PM
To: t10 at t10.org
Cc: Ralph Weber
Subject: Inconsistency in power condition overview in SPC-4
Hello,
I've discovered an inconsistency in SPC-4 regarding power conditions.
The sixth paragraph in 5.10.1 Power conditions overview reads, "If any
power condition timer in the Power Condition mode page is enabled, then
that timer shall be stopped on receipt of a command. On completion of
the command, all enabled timers shall be reinitialized based on their
Power Condition mode page values and then started."
However, in clause 6.29 REQUEST SENSE command there is a sentence that
reads, "A REQUEST SENSE command shall not reset any power condition
timers."
I think the description in the REQUEST SENSE command is correct and that
the paragraph in 5.10.1 should be changed to read, "If any power
condition timer in the Power Condition mode page is enabled, then that
timer shall be stopped on receipt of a command, except a REQUEST SENSE
command.  On completion of the command, all enabled timers shall be
reinitialized based on their Power Condition mode page values and then
started."
I think this could be an editorial change, as this was the intent all
along.
Please feel free to call or send an email to me with any comments or
questions that you have about this stuff.
Regards,
Mark Evans
Western Digital Corporation
5863 Rue Ferrari