Inconsistency in power condition overview in SPC-4

Mark Evans Mark.Evans at wdc.com
Fri Aug 28 15:16:11 PDT 2009

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r0908282_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

Hello,
I've discovered an inconsistency in SPC-4 regarding power conditions.  The
sixth paragraph in 5.10.1 Power conditions overview reads, "If any power
condition timer in the Power Condition mode page is enabled, then that timer
shall be stopped on receipt of a command. On completion of the command, all
enabled timers shall be reinitialized based on their Power Condition mode
page values and then started."
However, in clause 6.29 REQUEST SENSE command there is a sentence that
reads, "A REQUEST SENSE command shall not reset any power condition timers."
I think the description in the REQUEST SENSE command is correct and that the
paragraph in 5.10.1 should be changed to read, "If any power condition timer
in the Power Condition mode page is enabled, then that timer shall be
stopped on receipt of a command, except a REQUEST SENSE command.  On
completion of the command, all enabled timers shall be reinitialized based
on their Power Condition mode page values and then started."
I think this could be an editorial change, as this was the intent all along.
Please feel free to call or send an email to me with any comments or
questions that you have about this stuff.
Regards,
Mark Evans
Western Digital Corporation
5863 Rue Ferrari