Transport speed capabilities

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Thu Aug 6 11:09:30 PDT 2009

Formatted message: <a href="http://www.t10.org/cgi-bin/ac.pl?t=r&f=r0908062_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

I continue to have customers query me on the ability to report the speeds
that the hardware of our devices support over the transport.
In SAS there is mode page 19h subpage 01h that provides
PROGRAMMED MINIMUM PHYSICAL LINK RATE
HARDWARE MINIMUM PHYSICAL LINK RATE
PROGRAMMED MAXIMUM PHYSICAL LINK RATE
HARDWARE MAXIMUM PHYSICAL LINK RATE
For Fibre Channel I can find nothing comparable
In ADC-3, there is the primary port log page that reports the current
operating information for the transport (covers pSCSI, SAS, FC) and SSC-3
points to this page for use also.  This does not, however, provide the
capabilities of the port.
Is there some existing method to provide in the SCSI layer the ports
capabilities for the FC transport?
Should there be an effort to create on if one does not already exist?
Maybe in the Protocol specific port information VPD page?
Thanks,
Kevin D. Butt
MS 6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ 85744
Tel: 520-799-5280
Fax: 520-799-2723 (T/L:321)
Email address: kdbutt at us.ibm.com