The PPC bit in the LOG SENSE command

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Tue Nov 11 11:20:21 PST 2008

Formatted message: <a href="r0811114_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</a>

Mark,
I believe the intent is not if a new parameter code is added, but if the
value returned by parameter code x changes but the value returned by
parameter code y does not change, then a PPC bit set to one specifies that
parameter code x should be returned but parameter code y should not be
returned.  I think this is the intent.
The other point you make is related to which I_T nexus this applies to.
Since the text does not call out a specific I_T nexus the implication is
that it relates to any I_T nexus as you point out.  The other possibility
is that it could relate to a change in value returned by a parameter code
since the last LOG SELECT or LOG SENSE received from the same I_T nexus
that issued this LOG SENSE.  My suspicion is that the intent would have
been the latter - that it relates to this I_T nexus only and the
information needs retained on an I_T nexus basis.
With that said, my devices do not support a PPC=1 so this comment is
purely from reading the spec and guessing what the intent is.
Thanks,
Kevin D. Butt
MS 6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ 85744
Tel: 520-799-2869 / 520-799-5280
Fax: 520-799-2723 (T/L:321)
Email address: kdbutt at us.ibm.com
http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/storage/