SSC-3: Late Letter Ballot comment

Entzel, Paul Paul.Entzel at lsi.com
Mon Mar 31 14:55:14 PDT 2008

Formatted message: <A HREF="r0803316_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</A>

Hello Curtis,
The concept of LOCK was to allow an I_T nexus to create a fixed
association with a particular set of data encryption parameters at a
specific generation (key instance counter).  This association is saved
with the I_T nexus (see subclause 4.2.21.7) not with the set of data
encryption parameters because more than one I_T nexus can be associated
with a set of data encryption parameters (one as the creator, others
using the PUBLIC scope).  It was not an oversight to not include the
lock bit in the data encryption parameters structure, it doesn't belong
there.	Consider the example where I_T nexus A sends a SPOUT command to
create a set of data encryption parameters with a scope of ALL I_T_NEXUS
but does not set the LOCK bit, then I_T nexus B sends a SPOUT command
with a scope of PUBLIC with the LOCK bit set to 1.  In this example, A
is not locked to the parameters but B is.  What would you put in the
lock parameter if it was part of the set of data encryption parameters?
You may want to consider fixing the problem by introducing the concept
of a master key instance counter in 4.2.41.10 that is not associated
with any set of data encryption parameters.  It would be incremented and
inserted into the set of data encryption parameters each time one is
created.  You would also need to modify the test in 4.2.21.11 such that
a lock violation occurs if the I_T nexus is locked and the data
encryption parameters have been released.
Paul Entzel