[T13] Re: ATAPI: check condition with SenseKey=0

James.C.Hatfield at seagate.com James.C.Hatfield at seagate.com
Wed Mar 26 20:38:25 PDT 2008

* James.C.Hatfield at seagate.com
*
Bill,
Thank you for your info about MMC.
By the way, though, MMC is not the only ATAPI use in T10.
There are still ATAPI tape drives and (I hear rumor of) some ATAPI HDDs.
Thank You !!!
Jim Hatfield
Seagate Technology LLC
   e-mail:  James.C.Hatfield at seagate.com
   s-mail:  389 Disc Drive;  Longmont, CO 80503 USA
   voice:  720-684-2120
   fax....:  720-684-2711
	     Bill McFerrin
	     <billmc37 at ctesc.n
	     et>							To
	     No Phone Info	       James.C.Hatfield at seagate.com
	     Available							cc
				       T13 <T-13 at t13.org>, t10 at t10.org
								   Subject
	     03/26/2008 03:32	       Re: ATAPI: check condition with
	     PM 		       SenseKey=0
Hi Jim,
It is not forbidden. However,....
In the case of MMC (the only ATAPI thing in T10), we always describe
situations where a command is terminated with CHECK CONDITION status and
sense bytes SK/ASC/ASCQ are set to ... And we always specify a sense key
that is not zero. We also describe situations (e.g. progress indication)
where the Sense gets set with a TUR. If the staus is GOOD, then you know
that REQUEST SENSE will return progress indication where sense key = 0.
Long ago and far away, when the drive actually performed background
audio play for CD, we also had wimpy status of the play. But that was
also associated with the GOOD status after TUR and a sense key of 0.
Cheers,
Bill McFerrin

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org