miniSAS active cable keying

Elliott, Robert (Server Storage) Elliott at hp.com
Fri Jun 20 08:06:47 PDT 2008

Formatted message: <A HREF="r0806201_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</A>

The receptacle key slots will mean:
a) no key slots: SAS-1 phy present, only <= 6 m passive cables supported
b) key slot 1: SAS-2 phy present, > 6 m passive cables supported
c) key slot 2: power provided.	A SAS-2 phy is probably present, but that's
orthogonal.
A SAS-1.x receptacle includes no key slots.
A SAS-2.x receptacle not providing power will just include key slot 1.
A SAS-2.1 receptacle providing power will include both key slots 1 and 2.
The cable keys will mean:
a) none: <= 6 m passive cable
b) key 1: > 6 m passive cable, needs a SAS-2 phy
c) key 2: active cable, needs power
This ensures that:
1. short passive cables plug in everywhere
2. long passive cables only plug into receptacles with SAS-2 phys
3. active cables only plug into receptacles with power
It's up to the power supply logic behind a receptacle with key slot 2 to
determine if the cable is passive or active and only provide power to an
active cable.
(NOTE: the numbers of the key positions may change... e.g., these might be
slots "1" and "5" in the end)
---
Rob Elliott, HP Industry Standard Server Storage