SAS HBAs and SATA port multiplier compatibility

Elliott, Robert (Server Storage) Elliott at hp.com
Wed Jun 4 10:25:41 PDT 2008

A basic SAS expander STP/SATA bridge should not affect that at all.  Port
multipliers are handled via a field in the SATA FIS, so it's just part of the
traffic inside a connection as far as the expander is concerned.  It is
vendor-specific whether a multi-affiliation SAS expander, which parses the
SATA FIS contents, would work.
It is vendor-specific whether a SAS initiator would work.  It needs to
support that field in the SATA FIS and understand that one SAS address
represents multiple SATA devices; they don't each get their own SAS address.
---
Rob Elliott, HP Industry Standard Server Storage