Receiver JTF tolerance

Bent Hessen-Schmidt bhessen at SynthesysResearch.com
Mon Jul 21 10:16:03 PDT 2008

Formatted message: <A HREF="r0807211_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</A>

Hi Guillaume,
The +/-2300 ppm (4600 ppm peak to peak) deviation may be the same for
your proposal, but please realize that the modulation index will be 3.23
times larger at 97 kHz than it is at 30 kHz. Further the sinusoidal
component of a 5000 ppm peak-to-peak triangular SSC waveform is merely
3626 ppm at 30 kHz (another factor of 1.3 of difference).
Your proposal therefore is about 4.2 x the modulation which can be
generated at 97 kHz in SAS system. Instead a factor 2 x, which is very
close to your peak (not peak-to-peak) values in ppm as displayed in your
graph, will be much more reasonable for receiver testing.
Bent
________________________________
From: owner-t10 at t10.org [mailto:owner-t10 at t10.org] On Behalf Of
Guillaume Fortin (Montreal)
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2008 8:29 AM
To: Bent Hessen-Schmidt; t10 at t10.org
Subject: RE: Receiver JTF tolerance
You are correct Bent: the frequency offset values are peak values.
It is true that the frequency offset at 30kHz is too large if we scale
the SJ modulation by the inverse-JTF below ~2MHz. This is why my
proposal is to stop at 97kHz, which is the point at which the SJ
modulation amounts to +/-2300ppm, which is the maximum SSC modulation
that has to be tracked according to the SAS-2 spec.
I will create figures for the SJ mask that should make things clear.
Regards,
Guillaume