T10.wikidot.com

plavarre at lexar.com plavarre at lexar.com
Tue Jan 8 11:56:27 PST 2008

* <plavarre at lexar.com>
*
> > > What would be the purpose/charter of T10.wikidot.com ?
As follows?
> In particular, what information do you expect to show up there
> that should not show up also in both the T10 e-mail archive and the
T10 web-site?
Deeper discussion!
Exactly all the info that now falls between the cracks -- too deep and
narrow for e-mail, with that narrowness also keeping the info from being
officially interesting enough for a page of the T10 web-site. That is to
say, content produced in a "bazaar" by the community, rather than in a
"cathedral" by the officials, if you know that metaphor already?
Off the top of my head, I can easily imagine ...
Seven examples:
-- Example 1
Copies of the Unix man pages for Scsi development tools owned by my
employer, works that resemble the previously self-published gccscsi pldd
plscsi.
Last month I got permission to publish the man pages, but I haven't yet
found a good home for them. I am myself especially delighted with the
expressiveness of fragments like:
>>> mse = Spc.ModeSense6()
>>> hexes(mse.commandOutBytes())
'1A 08 3F 00 04 00'
>>> bytes = mse.readAvailable(scsi)
>>> mse.sbcWriteable()
True
>>> print Sbc.HcsModePage(mse)
1017741312 = ~1.02 G = ~971 Mi bytes in 1987776 blocks of 512 bytes
(3CA98000h bytes in 07B4h * 10h * 3Fh = 1E54C0h blocks of 200h bytes)
5000 Kb/s

-- Example 2
A list of how many duplicate conflicting definitions exist at
http://t10.org/lists/op-num.htm and an explanation of them, e.g., the
example I understand:
23  V	V V    V
23	 O	    READ FORMAT CAPACITIES
and the examples that I do not understand such as:
1B  O	OOO O MO O  START STOP UNIT
1B   O		M   LOAD UNLOAD
1B		    SCAN
1B    O 	    STOP PRINT
1B	   O	    OPEN/CLOSE IMPORT/EXPORT ELEMENT
Etc.
-- Example 3
Talk of well-known vendor-specific extensions to Scsi: e.g., the
Microsoft Windows uses of op 23h Read Format Capacities results to
reclassify an 00h Peripheral Device Type as a Disk Sys or Sfloppy Sys
device; e.g., the Apple Mac OS ways of deciding if Eject is meaningful
for a 00h device.
-- Example 4
Concise talk of how completely intentional is the implicit "should not
ever be less" than four are the should rules for allocation length in
Spc Inquiry.
-- Example 5
Concise talk of what a Scsi command means when differing interpretations
of the relevant standards leave the host and device disagreeing over how
many data bytes to copy which way.
-- Example 6
Links to valuable well-known Scsi community resources like:
http://www.bswd.com/cornucop.htm
http://www.google.com/search?q=related:www.usb.org/developers/devclass_d
ocs/usbmassbulk_10.pdf
-- Example 7