SMC-3r10 - Request Data Transfer Element Inquiry

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Mon Jan 7 11:16:55 PST 2008

Formatted message: <A HREF="r0801072_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</A>

Mike,
SPC-4r11 Annex C.3.3 lists the Maintenance IN op codes.  Values
A3h/00h-04h and A3/06h-09h are listed as "Restricted".	This means that
each command set is free to assign these values as it sees fit.  Stated
differently, when PERIPHERAL DEVICE TYPE in standard inquiry reports SCC
device, then A3h/06h is interpreted as "REPORT STATES".  When  PERIPHERAL
DEVICE TYPE in standard inquiry reports SMC device, then A3h/06h is
interpreted as "REQUEST DATA TRANSFER ELEMENT INQUIRY".
Kevin D. Butt
MS 6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ 85744
Tel: 520-799-2869 / 520-799-5280
Fax: 520-799-2723 (T/L:321)
Email address: kdbutt at us.ibm.com
http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/storage/
"Mike Berhan" <mikeb at bustrace.com>
Sent by: owner-t10 at t10.org
01/07/2008 10:34 AM
<t10 at t10.org>
cc
Subject
SMC-3r10 - Request Data Transfer Element Inquiry
* "Mike Berhan" <mikeb at bustrace.com>
*
There seems to be an opcode conflict in SMC-3 going back several years.
This is probably something that has been covered before or perhaps it's
just
a simple typo.
Table 5 of SMC-3 shows the "Commands for media changer devices."  For the
MAINTENANCE IN commands, it shows the following operation codes:
A3h/00h-04h
A3h/06h-09h
These operation codes are defined in SCC-2.  Turning to SCC-2, we find
that
A3h/06h is defined as the "REPORT STATES" service action.
Turning back to SMC-3, we see in Table 30 that A3h/06h is defined as
"REQUEST DATA TRANSFER ELEMENT INQUIRY."
This appears to be a conflict with A3h/06h unless I missed something.  Can
someone clarify this for me?  Thank you.
-------
Mike Berhan
busTRACE Technologies
9700 Village Center Drive