SSC-3 Action Item Reminder

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Fri Jan 4 10:03:07 PST 2008

Formatted message: <A HREF="r0801043_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</A>

Fred,
I think you left off T10 from the distribution accidentally.  I have
included the reflector.
Kevin D. Butt
MS 6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ 85744
Tel: 520-799-2869 / 520-799-5280
Fax: 520-799-2723 (T/L:321)
Email address: kdbutt at us.ibm.com
http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/storage/
"Knight, Frederick" <Frederick.Knight at netapp.com>
01/04/2008 09:20 AM
Kevin D Butt/Tucson/IBM at IBMUS
cc
Subject
RE: SSC-3 Action Item Reminder
My action below re: table 123 in SSC-3r03e.  I have no issue with removing
the version byte, and the format byte.
The question about those fields had to do their layout and intended use:
 byte 2-3 - specifies the length of the label field (upto 64k)
 byte 4 - version byte or format byte - not specified which
 byte 5 - version byte or format byte - not specified which
 byte 6-n - contains wrapped key descriptors (defined in 8.5.4.7)
    which contains descriptor type, reserved, and wrapped key descriptor
length and wrapped key descriptor
 byte n+1-m - contains wrapped key length
 byte m+1-x - contains the wrapped keys
We should either specify which goes where, and what they are for; or if we
don't know yet, but think we may need something later, then just create 2
reserved bytes; or totally remove them.  Does anyone remember what
structure this version/format were referring to (and why it's not part of
that structure itself)?
Right now, they both shall be set to 00h, so it's no big deal (which also
means we could just mark them as reserved - or it means we don't really
need it).  If someone else knows why they are there, then the
justification for keeping them will need to come from that someone else.
    Fred Knight