SPC Inquiry for Quad-Aligned Zero -- deprecated since SPC-4 maybe

plavarre at lexar.com plavarre at lexar.com
Fri Jan 4 09:06:16 PST 2008

* <plavarre at lexar.com>
*
Ah wonderful.
Yes I agree this newly suggested phrase of "either zero, or" says what
we always have meant slightly better than the earlier suggestion of the
phrase "zero, else".
I also notice this last retyping of the paragraph didn't bother to
correct the famous "should be should be" tupo.
Thus I think Frederick meant to suggest:
"""The ALLOCATION LENGTH field is defined in 4.3.4.6. If EVPD is set to
zero, the allocation length should be [+ either zero, or] at least five,
so that the ADDITIONAL LENGTH field in the parameter data (see 6.4.2) is
returned. If EVPD is set to one, the allocation length should be [-
should be] at least four, so that the PAGE LENGTH field in the parameter
data (see 7.6) is returned."""
I think that form includes a new claim. I'm ok with new claims so long
as we agree the new claims are new and true.
The new claim here is that the allocation length should be nonzero when
EVPD is set to one.
I think that should is false. I think we're ok with a host trying to
discover the lack of EVPD support by setting EVPD to one without setting
allocation length nonzero. Consequently I guess the best correction
found so far would be two insertions and one deletion:
"""The ALLOCATION LENGTH field is defined in 4.3.4.6. If EVPD is set to
zero, the allocation length should be [+ either zero, or] at least five,
so that the ADDITIONAL LENGTH field in the parameter data (see 6.4.2) is
returned. If EVPD is set to one, the allocation length should be [-
should be] [+ either zero, or] at least four, so that the PAGE LENGTH
field in the parameter data (see 7.6) is returned."""
Is that right? And good enough?
Curiously yours, hope this helps, thanks in advance, Pat LaVarre
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org