Two Persistent Reservation questions

Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com
Thu Jan 3 15:10:23 PST 2008

* Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com
*
In the course of reviewing SPC-4 rev. 11, I encountered this wording
defining who is a reservation holder:
5.6.9 Persistent reservation holder
The persistent reservation holder is determined by the type of the
persistent reservation as follows:
a) For a persistent reservation of the type Write Exclusive - All
Registrants or Exclusive Access - All Registrants,
the persistent reservation holder is any registered I_T nexus; or
b) For all other persistent reservation types, the persistent reservation
holder is the I_T nexus:
    A) For which the reservation was established with a PERSISTENT RESERVE
OUT command with
    REGISTER service action, REGISTER AND IGNORE EXISTING KEY service
action, PREEMPT
    service action, or PREEMPT AND ABORT service action; or
    B) To which the reservation was moved by a PERSISTENT RESERVE OUT
command with REGISTER
    AND MOVE service action.
(1) For item b), why isn't an I_T nexus that established a reservation
using PR OUT command with RESERVE service action listed as the reservation
holder?
(2) Also for item b), how does an I_T nexus become the reservation holder
using a REGISTER or REGISTER AND IGNORE EXISTING KEY service action? I can
understand these cases for an All Registrants type [covered in item a) ]
but not for Exclusive Access type.
Any explanation of this would be appreciated.
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org