Persistent Reservation Proposal - Group Reservations

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Thu Jan 3 10:51:06 PST 2008

Formatted message: <A HREF="r080103b_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</A>

We looked at using the existing reservation key but could not make it work
because, among other things, it is returned in PR In and it's behavior is
assumed to be non unique by existing applications.  For these reasons we
did not spend too much time looking at it.
IBM has one intent, but I found that there are at least two others, Roger
Cummings and Fred Knight, that have different intents.	Roger was thinking
of bringing something similar in himself - though it is subtly different.
I am not sure I understand all those subtleties.
The basic intent I was aiming for is for use in the tape drives (making
sure it is also good for disks).  There is a need to have any reservation
solidly exclusive to a given host.  However, it is desirable to allow
multiple HBA's on the same host to have that exclusive access.	This
allows for load balancing and failover internal to the same host.  Add to
that the need to allow for failover to a second host - also with multiple
HBA's but guaranteeing that if whatever out of band communication is
occurring between he two hosts fails that the two hosts will be protected
|from each other.  That is, if somehow each host thinks it should have the
access, the tape drive is still protected such that only one host at a
time can have permission to access the drive.  If host A thinks host B
went away and steals the reservation (a la PREEMPT) host B will no longer
have permission and will get a UA next time it tries access.  Add to this
the ability for the tape drive to be shared in an open system and still
have this work.
In reality, this is nothing more than each HBA on a single host being able
to share an exclusive reservation and no other initiator port can join in
without the owner telling it how to.
I sent another note planning a phone conference so we can clearly lay out
the desired intent.  Please respond to that note.
Thanks,
Kevin D. Butt
MS 6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ 85744
Tel: 520-799-2869 / 520-799-5280
Fax: 520-799-2723 (T/L:321)
Email address: kdbutt at us.ibm.com
http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/storage/
Black_David at emc.com
Sent by: owner-t10 at t10.org
01/03/2008 07:19 AM
<Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com>, <t10 at t10.org>
cc
Subject
RE: Persistent Reservation Proposal - Group Reservations
* Black_David at emc.com
*
I'm still checking with our implementers, but my initial reaction
is that Gerry's 2-for-2:
(1) I strongly agree with Gerry's preference for a new RESERVATION
		 type over a new REGISTRATION type.  PR code is already
		 subtle in a number of ways, and a new reservation type is
		 much easier to isolate from existing types in
specification,
		 coding, and testing.  It should also have better behavior
		 when mixing implementations that don't all support the
		 new functionality.  We probably need two new types, one
		 for group write and one for group exclusive.
(2) Is there a reason why we can't use the existing reservation
		 key as the entity that has to match for the new
reservation
		 type?	One would have to ensure that the reservation key
		 can't be read from the device by PR IN, but we already
		 have the precedent (and the specification text) to do
		 that in the All Registrants reservation types.  Reuse of
		 the reservation key is going to be easier to cope with
		 than inventing a new group identifier.
What initiator implementations are likely to use this new
functionality for what purposes?
Thanks,
--David
David L. Black, Distinguished Engineer
+1 (508) 293-7953	      FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
black_david at emc.com	   Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754

GRID;
> >4) Don't allow GRIDs to be accessed via PR In.
>
> If we don't add a new reservation type, it sounds like you are
describing a
> new registration type (existing one without GRID, new one with GRID).
This
> seems to complicate the rules for making an "all registrants"
reservation.
> If the initiator making the reservation specifies a GRID, only other
> initiators that registered with that GRID value inherit the
reservation and
> the others are excluded. This would be a very different result for
current
> initiators that expect to inherit any reservations just by
registering.

> Further, the "unexpectedly excluded" registered initiator will get no
clue
> as to why it doesn't inherit the reservation. if it issues READ
RESERVATION
> it gets back a response that says an all registrants reservation is in
> force. The PR generation and reservation key values returned won't
help any
> either, and the GROUP ID value of course will not be returned.
Creating a
> new reservation type would help here, since the reservation type is
> returned by READ RESERVATION. This might be an advantage of creating a
new
> reservation type for GRID Registrants Only (or something like that).
The
> new reservation type would make it more obvious why you didn't inherit
> reservation you expected to inherit.
>
> Also for backwards compatibility, will initiators be able to register
with
> existing method (i.e., not specifying a GROUP ID) as well as a new
method
> that specifies a GROUP ID? The standard will have to describe how
> registrants without a group ID, registrants with a non-matching group
ID,

* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org