Group Reservations Phone Conference

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Thu Jan 3 10:58:57 PST 2008

Formatted message: <A HREF="r080103a_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</A>

Roger,
Thanks.
First, I have lost the ability to attend the Wednesday time.  Since you
are also key in determining the problem(s) we are trying to solve we are
left with the following potential times:
Monday, January 7, 9:00 - 10:00 AM MST
Monday, January 7, 1:00 - 2:00 PM MST
Tuesday, January 8, 9:00 - 10:00 AM MST
Also, I agree with your statement <<What I'm intending to do for this call
next week is to try and take a step back and document very simply what the
problem is that we're trying to solve (on which I think we have a good
level of consensus), and then try and list the specific requirements that
need to be met by the solution. I'm hoping that you think that would be
useful.>> and the intent of the call is to focus on what you have
succinctly stated here.
Thanks,
Kevin D. Butt
MS 6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ 85744
Tel: 520-799-2869 / 520-799-5280
Fax: 520-799-2723 (T/L:321)
Email address: kdbutt at us.ibm.com
http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/storage/
"Roger Cummings" <roger_cummings at symantec.com>
01/03/2008 11:39 AM
Kevin D Butt/Tucson/IBM at IBMUS, <t10 at t10.org>
cc
<Black_David at emc.com>, <Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com>, "Knight, Frederick"
<Frederick.Knight at netapp.com>, "Raymond Gilson"
<raymond_gilson at symantec.com>, Keith Bello/Tucson/IBM at IBMUS, Christine R
Knibloe/Tucson/IBM at IBMUS, "Andrew Hisgen" <Andrew.Hisgen at Sun.COM>,
<roweber at ieee.org>, "John Lohmeyer" <lohmeyer at t10.org>
Subject
RE: Group Reservations Phone Conference
Kevin,
Thanks for posting the new documents, and for offering to organize the
call. Any time that you propose OTHER than 1pm on Tuesday will work for
me. I also have a reservationless conference scheme that we can use if
that would help.
What I'm intending to do for this call next week is to try and take a step
back and document very simply what the problem is that we're trying to
solve (on which I think we have a good level of consensus), and then try
and list the specific requirements that need to be met by the solution.
I'm hoping that you think that would be useful.
My interpretation of the thread up until today is that we have three or
four different approaches to the solution, all of which will work at some
level, and that to be able to evaluate those approaches effectively we'll
need to agree what the requirements are and assign a weighting.
Also, for those who've just started to participate in this thread, I'd
like to reiterate something that Kevin said in his first message
responding to my comments on his original posting. He said:
"I would prefer that we work together to shape a mutually beneficial
proposal as opposed to have "competing" proposals.  I am willing to modify
my proposal where it can be made easier and such.  I am not sold that my
proposed method is the only way or even the best - it's just the way I
thought of doing it."
I think these are admirable sentiments: I agree with them 110% and I hope
that everybody else does too. We MUST end up with something here that we
can all live with - we MUST NOT end up with two different ways of doing
this, one will be complicated enough!
Regards,
Roger Cummings
SYMANTEC