SPC Inquiry for Quad-Aligned Zero -- deprecated since SPC-4 maybe

Mark Evans Mark.Evans at wdc.com
Wed Jan 2 14:36:55 PST 2008

* "Mark Evans" <Mark.Evans at wdc.com>
*
Hi Pat,
I'm not sure what you're trying to fix.  The only possible clarification I
can see is to explain a touch more about the reason for the five and four.
This could be done by adding a few words the paragraph you mention in 6.4.1
INQUIRY command introduction as follows:
The ALLOCATION LENGTH field is defined in 4.3.4.6.  If EVPD is set to zero,
then the allocation length should be at least five so that the ADDITIONAL
LENGTH field (i.e., byte 4 in the standard INQUIRY data) is returned
providing the application client with the length of the data available (see
6.4.2).  If EVPD is set to one, then the allocation length should be should
be at least four so that the PAGE LENGTH field (i.e., byte 3 or bytes 2 and
3 in a vital product data page) is returned providing the application client
with the length of the data in the specified VPD page (see 7.6).
The cross references are already in the paragraph, but I guess a few more
words wouldn't hurt.  Am I missing the issue that you're trying to resolve?
Please let me know.
Regards,
Mark Evans
Western Digital Corporation