SAS-2 rev.15 Missing Sync lost message definition

Elliott, Robert (Server Storage) Elliott at hp.com
Wed Dec 3 11:30:22 PST 2008

DWS Lost is the name of a message going to SP, not the SP receiver.  They're
sent at similar times and possibly could be made identical.
Although the SAS standard (like most other serial protocols) only requires a
BER of 10^12 (which is one error every 2.77 min per one direction of a
physical link at 6 Gbps), a system generating anywhere near those number of
errors will have so many other problems it won't be viable.  Dword
synchronization mainly just happens once during speed negotiation. Most of
the time is spent finding the center of the bits; once done, identifying the
dword boundary by finding a comma is easy.