OSD: Error Reporting

Ralph Weber roweber at IEEE.org
Wed Aug 20 05:04:56 PDT 2008

Formatted message: <A HREF="r0808201_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</A>

Eddy,
For consistency, the cited OSD-2 4.16.1 text needs to be modified
to provide the same exceptions as the text after table 24 in SPC-4.
SPC-3 needs to change to SPC-4, and there may be some other minor editorial
nits, but ...
The entire Deferred Error gambit is a red herring.
None of the text after SPC-4 table 24 applies to Deferred Errors.
ASC 29h is POWER ON, RESET, OR BUS DEVICE RESET OCCURRED. The second
item listed after table 24 is MODE PARAMETERS CHANGED. Furthermore,
I doubt that T10 will approve adding more special cases to this list.
OSD-2 can (and shall) report Deferred Errors in the descriptor format.
OSD-2 devices should reject all REQUEST SENSE commands with the DESC
bit set to zero. The response to a REQUEST SENSE command with DESC set
to one should be descriptor format sense data ... unless otherwise
specified. This may reflect a problem in SPC-4 r16 table 250, but
that problem is an SPC-4 issue, not an OSD-2 issue.
All the best,
.Ralph