SPIN/SPOUT reason for INC_512 bit

Mike Berhan mikeb at bustrace.com
Tue Aug 19 12:06:00 PDT 2008

* "Mike Berhan" <mikeb at bustrace.com>
*
> You mention
>    "I see a variety of specifications state that INC_512
>    of 1 shall always return an Invalid Field in CDB check condition."
>
> SPC-4 does not state this at all. Please indicate what specifications
> you
> are refering to.
I don't think I was specific enough here.  I'm not talking about the
SPIN/SPOUT definition, just how some protocols are defined to handle it:
SPC-4 - 7.6.2.2:
"If an SA creation capabilities SECURITY PROTOCOL IN command is received
with the INC_512 bit is set to one, then the SECURITY PROTOCOL IN command
shall be terminated with CHECK CONDITION status, with the sense key set to
ILLEGAL REQUEST, and the additional sense code set to INVALID FIELD IN CDB."
SPC-4 - 7.6.4.2:
"If a CbCS SECURITY PROTOCOL IN command is received with the INC_512 bit set
to one, the command shall be terminated with CHECK CONDITION status, with
the sense key set to ILLEGAL REQUEST, and the additional sense code set to
INVALID FIELD IN CDB."
There are several others as well.
T10/08-065r2 Draft Specification:
"MMC Drives that implement the Trusted Computing Feature shall support only
INC_512 = 0b."
Thank you for the clarification regarding ATA compatibility.
Mike
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org