Thin device provisioning

Matthew Wilcox matthew at wil.cx
Fri Aug 8 06:15:11 PDT 2008

* Matthew Wilcox <matthew at wil.cx>
*
Good morning Fred,
I've been looking at your 08-149r0.pdf with a view to using the 'PUNCH'
command to implement the Linux 'DISCARD' command.  It's a little
over-specified for what we need and this causes the implementation to
be a little more complex than I would like.  The excess capability is
the ability to do multiple punches in a single command.  Do you really
need to be able to add/remove lots of ranges atomically, or could you
use a command specified like this:
0	0x9F
1	service action
2-9	LBA
10-13	length
14	reserved
15	control
and send one command for each range?
Apologies if this has already been covered in a T10 discussion; I'm not
a member and though I've searched the archives, I may have missed a
discussion.
a retrograde step."
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org