Comments on (08-198r0) iADT Service Discovery using UPnP

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Mon Apr 28 12:31:09 PDT 2008

Formatted message: <A HREF="r0804281_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</A>

I have comments on the following.
iADT Service Discovery using UPnP
(by: Paul Suhler)
T10/08-198r0   Uploaded: 2008/04/21   31639 bytes
ftp://ftp.t10.org/t10/document.08/08-198r0.pdf
The following clause (2.2) makes assumptions that I think we cannot make.
Namely, that the "DTDs will be attached to the automation device by an
Ethernet switch or hub and that this subnet is isolated from the Internet
for security."
<<
2.2 Automation Device Components
This document assumes that DTDs will be attached to the automation device
by an Ethernet switch or hub and that this subnet is isolated from the
Internet for security.
The automation device contains the following components:
? Management application accessible via front panel and/or Internet.
? Automation application client (see ADC-3)
? Remote SMC device server (see ADC-3)
? Ethernet ADI port (see ADC-3 and T10/07-469r2)
While the automation application client and remote SMC device server must
use the Ethernet iADT port to access DTDs? iADT ports, the network
protocol servers and the management application do not necessarily use the
same Ethernet port.

While it is true that some installations will be configured this way, it
is also true that some installations will require that the DTDs' ethernet
port is accessible by the external network.  We cannot limit what vendors
are going to do here.
Thanks,
Kevin D. Butt
MS 6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ 85744
Tel: 520-799-2869 / 520-799-5280
Fax: 520-799-2723 (T/L:321)
Email address: kdbutt at us.ibm.com