In which scenario, a SAS port/Phy can both be initiator and Target

Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com
Thu Apr 24 06:38:39 PDT 2008

* Gerry.Houlder at seagate.com
*
The easiest example to cite would be a device that acts as a copy manager.
This device would accept commands from a host (i.e., would have target
role) and then send read and write commands to other devices (e.g., disk
drive or tape drive) to do the copy operation(s). I can imagine some types
of server that accepts commands from hosts and may access other servers or
storage devices on the same SAS domain (as well as other domains) to
satisfy host requests.
	     "Sanjay Goyal"
	     <Sanjay_Goyal at pmc
	     -sierra.com>						To
	     Sent by:		       <t10 at t10.org>
	     owner-t10 at t10.org						cc
	     No Phone Info
	     Available						   Subject
				       In which scenario, a SAS port/Phy
				       can both be initiator and Target
	     04/24/2008 05:06
	     AM
Hi,
I am interested to know in which applications a SAS port can both be
Initiator and Target at the same time i.e. It will issue SCSI commands and
will receive SCSI commands.
Regards,
Sanjay
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org