Optical devices, power consumption and rotation speed

David Burg daviburg at windows.microsoft.com
Sun Sep 16 19:48:30 PDT 2007

Formatted message: <A HREF="r0709167_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</A>

Hello,
Our study of spinning disk (e.g. HDD) lead us to heuristic that power
consumption is cube of rotational speed. So that lower rotational speed
grants more efficient power consumption for the same amount of data I/O.
However for optical device, we have no comparative data between the laser
lens power consumption at different speeds and the disc motor power
consumption at different speeds, or the overhead power consumption of
rotation speed change from non-CAV speed controls (CLV, ZCLV, PCAV).
If you have such data and may share it with Microsoft for the sake of the
speed control Mt Fuji/MMC proposal, we would appreciate your help.
Best regards,
David Burg.