256-bit vs 512-bit strength security

Kevin D Butt kdbutt at us.ibm.com
Thu Sep 13 11:20:01 PDT 2007

Formatted message: <A HREF="r0709132_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</A>

All,
I would like to share what Hugo Krawczyk, one of IBM's cryptographers has
shared with me.
<<
The 256-strength suite is total overkill.
There is no need to use AES with 256-bit key today or SHA-512.
Of course, the 128-bit suite may be broken next month (or in 5 years) but
the same is possible
for the 256-bit suite. Actually, who said 500-bit EC will not turn out to
have only 128 bit of security in a
breakthrough cryptanalysis in 5-10 years (or next month)?
Given the information we have today, the 128-bit suite is good enough for
almost all commercial applications.
If you need security of your data for the next 50 years you may consider
going to a stronger suite, but then
(again) who said that the 256-bit will suffice? (for 50 year security I
recommend sending it inside a physical safe :)
The only reason I see now for going for a 256-bit suite is to promote ECC.
That may or may not be a good idea, but it should be clear that that's the
only relevant reason for this suite.
Hugo

Thanks,
Kevin D. Butt
MS 6TYA, 9000 S. Rita Rd., Tucson, AZ 85744
Tel: 520-799-2869 / 520-799-5280
Fax: 520-799-2723 (T/L:321)
Email address: kdbutt at us.ibm.com
http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/storage/
Ralph Weber <roweber at IEEE.org>
Sent by: owner-t10 at t10.org
09/12/2007 07:25 PM
"'t10 at t10.org'" <t10 at t10.org>
cc
Subject
256-bit vs 512-bit strength security
* Ralph Weber <roweber at ieee.org>
*
Reminder:
On Wednesday afternoon in Vancouver, you will be asked
to vote your company's position on a choice between
mandating 256-bit strength security or 512-bit strength
security in SPC-4.
If you do not yet know your company's position,
now would be a good time to start asking some
embarrassing questions.
All the best,
.Ralph
* 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to majordomo at t10.org