Mt Fuji - MMC:

keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp
Wed Sep 5 00:06:13 PDT 2007

* keiji_katata at post.pioneer.co.jp
*
Sorry David, my writing might not be appropriate to get information that I
want
to know.
I want to know the relationship between explained background and requirement.
We
discuss about HD content streaming playback method.
For example "4-2 Need to provide report of device capabilities at any time.",
do not understand the relationship between Streaming Playback and this.
Offline
reporting is just a report of a possibility that comes from advertizement.
And
it cannot be a list. Because some drive does not have steps (list of playback
speed). On the other hand, because of offline, playback application software
cannot know the necessary bit rate on a disc.
Another example, 3X marked DVD-ROM disc should have good physical quality to
be
played back on 3X. No marking DVD-ROM may have good physical quality to be
played back on 1X. They are same but are different. How drive knows? How
about
R/RW case?
By the way may I ask a question that what is "'Duh' requirement"?
Best regards,
Keiji Katata
PIONEER CORP.
David Burg <daviburg at windows.microsoft.com>@avc-pioneer.com on 2007/09/04
23:57:22
mtfuji5 at avc-pioneer.com$B$KJV?.$7$F$/$@$5$$(B
$BAw?.<T(B:	  owner-mtfuji5 at avc-pioneer.com
$B08 at h(B:  "mtfuji5 at avc-pioneer.com" <mtfuji5 at avc-pioneer.com>
cc:    T10 Reflector <t10 at t10.org>
bcc:
$B7oL>(B:  RE: Mt Fuji - MMC:
Hi Katata-san,
I believe Microsoft has already explained repeatedly the necessity of these
requirements, either on writing like on proposal document, or orally at the
meeting itself. But I will repeat briefly.
4-0 Playback throughput issue is generic
4-1 'Duh' requirement - can't select speed if can't list (e.g. to user) what
speeds are available.
4-2 Need to provide report of device capabilities at any time. Just like you
do
already in the manual and promotion material for the hardware. Another host
software company actually confirmed this requirement to us offline.
4-3 The specification already points that the inability to distinguish some
speeds and rotation control is a problem. Further host can't reliably predict
burn time when rotation control is not accurately described.
4-4 'Duh' requirement. Don't provide host with fake data.
4-5 Based on history of problems with speed control, Microsoft intends to
closely verify that new specification is precisely and properly implemented.
4-6 The group had lengthily discussion why devices do adjust speeds.
Furthermore, the group already discussed that host applications are in 3
categories - read only (e.g. video player), write only (e.g. mastering
applications), read-write (e.g. live file systems)
Per the streaming feature introducing description "This Feature identifies
logical units that support reporting and setting of performance parameters."
The
main performance parameter is the rotation speed. And not only special
playback
software needs to control the rotation speed. Accordingly I believe it would
be
improper to limit the designs to special software.
Reporting check condition on read commands as a persistent setting for the
duration of the media been mounted is a heavy responsibility for the host
application doing the playback. Risk of problems with other applications on
the
system, e.g. if the special application exits unexpectedly or simply forgets
restore speed defaults on exit, are very high and likely unacceptable.
Best regards,
David Burg.