SPC-4, 07-449r9: Should we mandate AES-GCM or AES-CBC-HMAC for IKEv2-SCSI

Matt Ball matt.ball at IEEE.org
Mon Oct 15 09:38:58 PDT 2007

Formatted message: <A HREF="r0710150_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</A>

Hi Security Folks,
This is the only comment received so far concerning mandating GCM vs. CBC
for IKEv2-SCSI, and it recommends using CBC.  The current IKEv2-SCSI draft
specifies CBC-HMAC, so we'll keep it that way unless anyone else wants to
defend GCM.
Thanks,
-Matt
On 10/15/07, Subhash Sankuratripati  wrote:

>  Matt,
>
> NetApp is against the use of GCM (in 256-bit mode) with the assumption
> that the block size of GCM (per SP 800-38D) is 128 bits.
>
> Authentication strength unlike Encryption Strength is limited by block
> size. Hence it is our opinion that GCM cannot be used in 256-bit mode of
> operation.
>
> Thanks,
> -Subhash.

FIPS