Question regarding K28.6

James.C.Hatfield at seagate.com James.C.Hatfield at seagate.com
Thu Oct 11 15:50:15 PDT 2007

* James.C.Hatfield at seagate.com
*
The SATA 2.6 spec also does not define K28.6 (as far as I can tell)
Refer to section 9.2.2.5.2 for control characters
Thank You !!!
Jim Hatfield
Seagate Technology LLC
   e-mail:  James.C.Hatfield at seagate.com
   s-mail:  389 Disc Drive;  Longmont, CO 80503 USA
   voice:  720-684-2120
   fax....:  720-684-2711
	     "Marian Lakov"
	     <Marian_Lakov at us.
	     xyratex.com>						To
	     Sent by:		       <t10 at t10.org>, <T-13Test at T13.org>
	     owner-t10 at t10.org						cc
	     No Phone Info
	     Available						   Subject
				       Question regarding K28.6
	     10/11/2007 02:58
	     PM
* "Marian Lakov" <Marian_Lakov at us.xyratex.com>
*
Hi All,
I need a clarification regarding K28.6 control character. According to SAS
(2r10) it will indicate a SATA_ERROR if used in SATA link and has no
meaning in SAS:
Table 75 - Control character usage
First character  Usage in SAS physical links  Usage in SATA physical links
of a dword
K28.3		 Primitives used only inside  All primitives except ALIGN
		 STP connections
K28.5		 ALIGN and most primitives    ALIGN
		 defined in this standard
K28.6		 Not used		      SATA_ERROR
The corresponding  part of the ATA-8 AST does not define K28.6 as a valid
control character:
Table 21 - Valid control characters
Name	     Description
K28.3	     Occurs only at byte 0 of all primitives except for
	     the ALIGN primitive
K28.5	     Occurs only at byte 0 of the ALIGN primitive
Is K28.6 a valid control character for SATA and which part of the ATA
standard describes its usage?
Thanks,
Marian
________________________