SAS PHY teleconference 5/24/07, 10 am CDT: Definition of BUJ and T10/07-259r0

Jenkins, Mike Mike.Jenkins at lsi.com
Fri May 25 09:51:07 PDT 2007

Formatted message: <A HREF="r0705254_f.htm">HTML-formatted message</A>
Attachment #1: <A HREF="r0705254_image004.jpg">image004.jpg</A>
Attachment #2: <A HREF="r0705254_image003.jpg">image003.jpg</A>

Larry,
I do appreciate your distribution of these citations.  I will insert
comments for each paper below.
Overall, I think the disagreement boils down to whether periodic jitter
(PJ) is or is not included in bounded uncorrelated jitter (BUJ).  First
of all, the division of jitter into unbounded (i.e., RJ), bounded
uncorrelated (BUJ) and bounded correlated (i.e., DDJ) is a perfect
taxonomy by the very names of the categories.  It guarantees that all
types of jitter are covered and any type belongs to only one category.
I suspect the motivation for measurement equipment manufacturers in
separating periodic jitter before processing the residue is that
spectral peaks are numerically difficult to deal with when mixed with
broad spectral components.  But that is no excuse for asserting that a
bounded jitter component which is uncorrelated to the signal is not
bounded uncorrelated jitter.  I would suggest a new name for BUJ with
the periodic component(s) removed.  How about "broad band BUJ" (BBBUJ -
pronounced like BUJ, but with a stutter).
I don't lightly choose to propose different terminology than what is in
practice, but current practice is simply self-contradictory.  I will
attempt to roll this into a rev of T10/07-259.
Regards,
Mike